Well, here goes!

So it turns out that I need some motivation to help me get back on the horse, so to speak. Let's hope by blogging this miraculous event, I might actually get somewhere.

So last June, I lost my heart horse, and with her went most of my motivation for anything horse related. That's one of her last photos at 26 years old. I rode her only a few days before she passed, and she was fresh as a youngster. I knew that after 20 years our time together was getting short, but the decision to end suffering is never easy even when you know it's coming. And in typical Nevada fashion, she let me know it was her time in rather dramatic fashion! I am thankful for the 20 years we shared. She saw me through a lot in that time.

But even before that, my passion was waning. I'd met the worst of the horse world, the worst of human nature, and it all took a toll. Ongoing drought made them very costly. No longer having them at home, at my back door, really took a lot of the joy. The daily feed up had become a chore that I didn't enjoy. Driving out to them every day seemed to take forever, and having the two ponies over an hour away is still frustrating. Horses were a hassle. I advertised the other horses so many times, but when it came to the crunch I just couldn't sell.

So here I am. Stuck in a rut. I'm a horsewoman who doesn't do anything but throw food at them each day. That's not good enough. I watched my yellow peril trot down the paddock today, and silently cursed myself again for letting that amazing floaty trot sit in a paddock and not out doing anything. I do it most days. We have a nice little dressage club not far away, an annual show, REA only an hour away. I have a float which is freshly repaired, so I have no excuse except my own lack of motivation.

So here's hoping that sharing the journey might help to boost that motivation. Hopefully I will be able to update each weekend. And for good measure, here's me vaulting on a camel in Egypt! See you next weekend.

Comments